12 Top Tips for a Flatter Stomach:
Although we would all like to believe that there is a magic pill or a quick fix that can lead us to flat belly results, we know that this does not exist.
Here are my Top 12 Tips:
1. Eat smaller meals more frequently then sticking with the old adage of breakfast, lunch and supper. When you eat a large meal, it causes your stomach to stretch. This gives a bloated look and feel. Smaller meals are easier on digestion and help to avoid over eating.
2. Stay away from high fructose. This is the hidden ingredient in so many processed foods and beverages. Look at the labels and make sure your total consumption of fructose is less than 20 grams per day.
3. Excess refined and processed carbohydrates (examples are bread and pasta) MUST be avoided as they are the hardest structure to break down (digest). These means that not only do they pack on the pounds, but they are the hardest pounds of fat to get rid of.
4. Do not be fooled by omitting healthy fats. These help balance the rate at which your body processes carbohydrates. Good examples of healthy fats are olive and coconut oil and avocados.
5. Chew your food slowly. Digestion begins in the mouth. The more efficiently you digest your food, the stronger your metabolism will function and keep your belly from getting bloated.
6. Drink lots of water in between your meals. This helps ward off hunger pains. Often when we think we are hungry, we are really thirsty. Adding lemon or apple cider vinegar can also speed up weight loss as they are very cleansing and terrific lymph movers. Avoid drinking with your meals as this causes bloat, and can interfere with enzymes.
7. Eat organic whenever possible. Organic food digests easier causing less inflammation.
8. Eat whole foods. They are filling and give you more energy. Whole foods are fruits, vegetables, some grains and legumes. Stick with sprouted grains whenever possible. Good examples of healthy grains are quinoa and wild rice. These are NOT processed
9. Try to eat raw 75-80 % of every day. Raw fruits and vegetables contain no fat or complex sugars, are filling and most importantly are complete with vitamins and minerals.
10. Fasting 1-3 days per week (with the help of a licensed health practitioner) on fruit or vegetable juices can be the best and most efficient way to losing fat without jeopardizing your health. In the spring or summer months I suggest that my clients do a watermelon juice fast. Watermelon is a natural diuretic, which makes it useful for weight loss, and is a blood purifier. Watermelons are a good source of lycopene, an anticancer substance. They also help to control high blood pressure.
11. Choose seeds over nuts. Although some nuts do have many health properties, they are high in fat and not that easy to digest. Seeds can be a better choice for weight loss. See my article on choosing seeds.
12. Instead of ignoring hunger pains at 4:00 PM, eat a small snack. A good example can be some hummus and raw veggies. This will boost your metabolism and balance your blood sugar.
I find that if you create a habit of cooking with less grease and sauces, this can be a great step in achieving a flat and lean stomach. Choose to broil your fish or meats as opposed to baking with sauces or casseroles. To achieve great taste and flavor, simply baste your protein with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with herbs and spices. I love the BRAGG mix of herbs called Sprinkle, which is available in most health food stores.
Healthy Tips & Recipes
- Add the flesh of a watermelon (with the seeds if you are using a Vitamix) to some water and blend. You may add a bit of lemon if you find the melon too sweet. Try to at least 3 liters per day.
- Skinless BBQ chicken breasts and veggies – a simple and lean meal.
- Baste your chicken and broccoli (or any other veggie that you prefer) with a bit of olive or coconut oil Sprinkle with a blend of your favorite herbs or Sprinkle. Place under your broiler or on the BBQ.
By Frances Michaelson
[mkd_separator position=”left” color=”#ff9c54″ width=”55px” thickness=”2″ top_margin=”21px” bottom_margin=”10px”]